i'm always asking people what they're reading. i love books. more specifically, i love stories and characters and themes. maybe this interest stems from my affinity for observing human behavior and personalities. everyone has a story, his or her own plot line. look around you. your family, your coworkers, your friends, people at your church, your hair stylist, people at the gym, people you regularly see at your grocery store. they all have lives. some are very different from your life; some share uncanny similarities to your background, preferences, beliefs.
you can also tell a lot about a person by their literature preferences. some people stick with the classics; others take a shine to modern stuff; others only read biographies or non-fiction (these people CAN be kind of irksome...like they look down on fiction because it's not real); some are pretty keen on self-help or christian books about christian topics.
i read everything.
i don't believe that christians should only read the "safe" stuff...the stuff they find at northwestern bookstore and the like. not that i think those books are bad. most of it, in my opinion, is poor writing, but everyone's a critic, eh?
i read sad stuff, humorous stuff, escapist stuff, real stuff, fake stuff, biographical stuff, christian living stuff, how-to stuff (well, not often, but i have). because isn't that more true-to-life? we all have different moods or different stages in our lives that influence our interests. we are ever-changing. not to say that we don't have some fondness for the past. for example, i have a special place in my heart for books like rascal, winnie the pooh, madeline, babar, charlotte's web, a cricket in time's square, a wrinkle in time, the phantom tollbooth, the chronicles of narnia, stuart little, betsty-tacy-and-tib, and the secret garden because they are tied to childhood memories: memories of my mom reading us winnie the pooh and rascal before nap time; my dad reading us the chronicles of narnia before bed.
literature is the stuff of life-the substance of dreams and hopes; epic adventure; searing loss; situational comedy; missed trains, old men and the sea, glass castles, sleeping beauties, little houses on the prairie, antonias, frogs and toads, ghosts of christmases past, playing mah jong with your friends while you discuss your daughters' lives...
what do you like to read? how do you choose a book? when you read a book, do you take a peek at upcoming pages or do you read methodically from start to finish?
i read a variety of literature. i choose books either by friends' and family's recommendations, reading literary reviews, or simply walking through the library and judging a book by its cover. :) when i pick up a new book, i read the forward and introduction if there is one. i read the dedication page. then i go to the penultimate or last page to see if there is a note on the font or typeface. then i go to chapter one, and the rest is history.
Currently I am reading about a man trapped in a woman's body and how he thought it would be awesome but once he experienced the emotional part about being a woman, killed himself. Actually, I just made that up. I like to read but it takes me months to get through a book which is just fine with me. I would say literature is one of my favorite genres and then maybe science fiction or action/adventure.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm the only one in the family who didn't get the i-love-to-read gene. i usually don't have the energy or time to find a good book to read. that book brett was talking about in the above comment sounds pretty good though...
ReplyDeleteI am late to this conversation, but I'd like to weigh in anyway. Yes, Brett's story sounds interesting-perhaps Brett should write it? Perhaps not. If I'm reading for fun, which I don't believe I have done since I lived in Alaska, I stick to fiction, dabbling in the classics. There are two or three authors I've read completely through. Salinger, E. Annie Proulx, and (almost) Denis Johnson. When I find a book I really love, I read everything I can find by that author, and when I'm through I go through a post break-up routine, listlessly wandering through the used bookstore hoping to run into something fetching...
ReplyDeleteOr at least I used to. I want to read for fun again. Maybe next year. ;)
Currently revisiting Freakonomics because it was in the back of the car while I came home from Rochester. It's pretty fascinating stuff. I like it at this point because I can read a chapter and be done for as long as I need to be without "leaving" in the middle of the plot.
ReplyDeleteJane Austen is my favorite genre. Can she be called a genre? I think she can. I am currently reading Persuasion... again. It is like seeing an old friend. Something very welcome right now. :)
ReplyDeleteI love reading and Thom doesn't. I hope that I can instill that love in Grayson. We Hedstroms had good exposure to the written word, I guess I will need to ensure that I do the same.
ReplyDeleteI just read one of the Mitford books because Grandma gave the book to me while I was on bedrest and I never read it so, after 3 years, thought it was time to bust it out. It was a nice change from reading case law so I enjoyed it as escapist fluff despite the fact that aspects of her writing rub me the wrong way. I recently finished The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. I liked the back story she developed of her mother's time in China but the modern day juxtaposition didn't work. I was underwhelmed by her writing.
I'm a voracious reader- aiming for 100 books this year (read 80 last year.) I love reading contemporary fiction, romance, historical novels, Christian non-fiction, biographies, the classics. I'll try any author at least once. I love losing myself in the pages of a book for a few hours, a mug of Irish Breakfast tea by my side. If only work didn't get in the way!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE reading...of course, this would be why I majored in English :). Right now, I'm reading "Dawn of the Dreadfuls" which is the prequel for "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies."
ReplyDeleteI wholeheartedly agree with your post. I read everything under the sun. It gives me a well-rounded outlook on life--that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
ReplyDeleteHere from EE's Saturday carnival.
Unlike your uncle the bookworm, I'm in and out of reading - I go through phases. The most recent phase had me reading - at your grandmother's insistence, some of the Maisie Dobbs' books - I may return to them, but the stubborn bull-headed person in me is being rebellious about it. (I hate being told what to do) I have read, and with great enthusiasm recommend reading, Dawn Dais' The NonRunner's Guide to Running a Marathon for Women. Even if you don't intend to be a marathon runner, it's helpful and hysterical. Of course, it could just be me. The other book I've completed recently is Half-Baked by Alexa Stevenson - a memoir written by a young slightly neurotic woman about her problem pregnancy and baby. It stirred so many emotions, surprisingly great sadness and pity. Read it and you'll understand.
ReplyDelete