keenly distressing to the feelings: poignant regret.
keen or strong in mental appeal: a subject of poignant interest.
affecting or moving the emotions: a poignant scene.
pungent to the smell: poignant cooking odors.
when i hear or read the word poignant, the first thing that comes to mind is a gripping, gut-wrenching memory...it can be a good memory or a bad one; an aching for something that can never be reproduced.
-as a little girl falling asleep listening to the sound of the American flag flapping in the lake breeze in Park Rapids at my grandparents' cabin
-the haunting call of the loon on Long Lake in the dead of night
-passing the house on Fairlawn
-feeling my little brother's steady grip on my shoulders when he would hitch a ride on the back of my bike as kids
-every Christmas when I smell the fresh pine scent of the tree we've just hauled in, I think back to Christmases past as a little kid with the expectancy of what joy and surprises Christmas morning would bring
-when I see a baseball card, I think back to lazy summer nights as a kid, watching Twins games with my big brother; he would explain the rules of the game and I would try to soak everything up so I could impress him later with my astute commentary
-watching images of September 11
and i'm not sure i even used the word poignancy correctly, so feel free to tell me. :)
and i'm not sure i even used the word poignancy correctly, so feel free to tell me. :)
I like the word poignancy now. Thank you for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteb
Seems to me that your understanding of the word is spot-on. I also have poignant memories of Long Lake. So much so, I don't even like going back because it's all so different now. I like remembering things the way they were, when I got to spend the whole summer up there and you kids would come to visit and we would play all day long. I'm so glad we have those memories together.
ReplyDeleteYes, those are good memories and part of the reason (among many others) I can't bear to go up there anymore. I would go up there if you were there!
ReplyDelete