Friday, August 16, 2013

let's talk skin

So, I'm curious. What do you do for your skin? Do you have a regimen? Do you swear by certain products? I have been blessed with pretty good skin. I experienced the occasional breakout as a teenager and college student, but nothing too severe. My dad's mother died of melanoma skin cancer at age 50 (none of us grandchildren ever had the pleasure of meeting her); my dad had a bout of skin cancer when he was around 50, so I try to wear sunblock faithfully, and avoid the sun as much as I can. I am supposed to get checked once per year by a dermatologist due to the cancer in my family history, which reminds me, I need to schedule an appointment as I haven't been since 2009 or 2010. Yikes!

As far as skincare goes, besides wearing sunscreen, I wash my face in the morning and before bed using Target's knockoff of Clean and Clear's Morning Burst. (I started using it a couple years ago when I was pregnant with Stella. The scent of whatever face wash I was using at the time made me nauseous, so I asked Brett to pick up something at Target that either had no scent or that smelled citrusy. He came back with Target's up and up brand knockoff of Morning Burst, which is citrusy, and we have been using it ever since!) So nothing fancy. I finish by slathering on some Aveeno body lotion, (you know - the big two-pack that many of us buy from Costco a couple times a year), and I'm done.

As for makeup, I buy drugstore-priced stuff. I tend to buy Maybelline or Revlon mascara, (hello Lash Potion!) Cover Girl eyeliner and powder, and usually Revlon foundation. I am always trying new foundations or tinted moisturizers, so I also have some Aveda tinted moisturizer and a cheap Cover Girl foundation in my makeup bag, too. I used to buy expensive foundation (by expensive I mean a $32 Estee Lauder one) in college and for a few years afterward, but then I switched to Revlon after reading a favorable Begoun review. I think that you can get by with the less-expensive mascaras, lip glosses, and even some foundations.

I've always enjoyed perusing Paula Begoun's Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me books. This "Cosmetics Cop" reviews hundreds of products ranging from skincare to makeup. She breaks through a lot of the hype in advertising when it comes to lipstick, lotion, creams, mascara, etc. The other day I looked up her website and, remembering that she has her own line of skincare, I decided to order some things. The cool thing about her company is that you can order samples for $1 so you don't have to commit to a big bottle of something right away. Her prices are half that of the better-known cosmetic counterparts like Estee Lauder, Lancome, MAC, etc. I ordered a serum that contains a lot of antioxidants and can be used kind of like a primer for foundation or tinted moisturizer.


I also ordered two different samples of foundation in two different colors for $1 apiece. With my order I got to select three other samples, so I opted for another serum, a cleansing wash, and a lotion. I was delighted with the free shipping!

The products arrived yesterday, so I was excited to wash my face with the cleansing sample and to apply the serum. The serum felt really luxurious and pampering. This morning I applied the serum before trying one of the foundations. The foundation glided on so smoothly and blended very easily. My skin feels really soft from both the serum and foundation so far. 

The company included a mini-sized book entitled 20 Beauty Myths Busted. Some of the myths include, according to Begoun and her research team: "Hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and cosmeceutical products are better for skin than other products"; "Everyone needs an eye cream or product for the eye area"; "Natural ingredients are better for skin than synthetic ingredients"; and "Your skin adapts to products so they eventually stop working." If anyone wants to borrow it from me, just let me know. :)

Well, I'm going to keep trying her stuff out and see if I still like it. I enjoy trying new beauty products. There is something about having a regimen and taking care of yourself that feels so pampering. Especially as a tired pregnant mom, just using a skin product other than a basic lotion makes me feel so pampered. Haha. 

So, what do you use for your skin? Do you like trying new beauty stuff or do you loyally stick with a few products like I have for so long (shout out to Aveeno)? Do you ever splurge on a skin or makeup product because you want to treat yourself? 

I am vaguely aware that I used the word pamper or some form of it way too many times in this post. Did I mention Stella wears Pampers? 


2 comments:

  1. http://www.jrwatkins.com/bath-and-body.aspx?facet={E7F6A3BB-F6B8-4D6B-A679-1282B1D65E5D}

    Only natural skincare products for this lady! Highly recommend them if you are looking for a natural, quality product that is affordable too...

    Rachel Knight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a loyal BareMinerals fan for foundation and I love Aveeno lotion for my face and body. I was just asking a friend for anti-aging recommendations and then I read your post. So I ran to the library and got the book. Can't wait to look at it closer:) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete