Wednesday, August 3, 2011

simple joys

a good night's rest
guilty pleasure tv like the bachelorette. don't judge. you watch it, too.
a brand new kitchen scrub brush (these are simple joys, remember?)
freshly washed sheets
stella's smile
the feeling of accomplishment after having gotten all your groceries and you've put them all away
receiving something personal in the mail i.e. NOT a bill or store circular
a good workout
the shower you take after said good workout
a pedicure
using a new word
figuring out a hard clue on a crossword puzzle
a good cup of coffee
anticipation of your favorite season (in my case, FALL!)
anticipation of a vacation (no concrete plans on the horizon for us, but you never know!)
the smell of my aveda shampoo...aaaah!
the smell of stella's johnson and johnson or aveeno baby shampoo
the feeling of being well rested (i have hope this will return)
when the worship leader selects some of your favorite songs
when you read something in your devotions that you desperately need
when changing out your purse, you find cash or something nice you had forgotten about
when you find something really cute on sale
the sound of the dishwasher running
papyrus-brand cards: so beautiful!
method soap: love the colors!
2-3 days after you've gotten a new haircut and it just sort of settles in and looks even better than the day you had it cut
alone time
when you tell someone something you think is interesting and he/she finds it just as interesting as you do
guessing the correct answer while watching a game show like who wants to be a millionaire
the feeling one gets after organizing and cleaning the house for company
settling in to read a good book (most recent read, the help; currently reading the dog who came in from the cold which is alexander mccall smith's latest installment in his new corduroy mansions series)
when i finally figure out what to make for dinner or dessert for small group (i'm scheduled to bring dessert tomorrow and i still have no idea what i'm bringing)
when i remember to bring my camera to a social event and actually remember to take pictures and at least a few turn out well
when i acquire a great coupon-you know, not the ones that are "save 20 cents when you buy 10 boxes of x"
brett's and my inside jokes
when an opportunity presents itself for someone to use good grammar skills and that person rises to the occasion and does indeed exercise the correct usage (and so then i don't have to cringe inside). it's just so satisfying.
when after finding out that i studied spanish/latin-american culture and literature in college, someone doesn't say: "O.M.Geeeeee! so are you like fluent?" because no, i am not, and i feel like a loser!
when you weigh yourself and discover you've lost instead of gained-woo hoo!!!
discovering a blog that is either fun, entertaining, inspiring, or thought-provoking
when you think of a more exciting verb to use (like traipsed instead of walked or chortled instead of laughed)
when novels have a note about the typeface used (yes, nerd alert)


what are some of the simple joys in your life?

achieving that johnson and johnson scent

5 comments:

  1. Good grammar - so satisfying. Maren correctly said something really tricky the other day. (I can't remember what it was, except that it involved pronouns as a direct object instead of subject and she totally got it!) Why? Because it comes naturally if you hear it spoken correctly from the beginning! Maybe our girls will be grammar geeks together... Because it's nice to at least have someone else cringing with you.

    I even agree about alone time, which might not be on my list in other stages of life, but now I am thrilled to have a second alone with thoughts.

    Don't make anything too hard for tomorrow night. Pick up ice-cream sandwiches or a box of cookies, if you need to go that way. We're just excited to have permission to eat dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list and I love you. We definitely share some similarities! I also love a nice weekly meal plan that hangs together nicely, an empty laundry hamper, kisses from my boys, Grayson's little snores as he sleeps, and a cup of good coffee on a Friday afternoon. Where do you get your hair cut that it looks even better 2-3 after? I desperately need to get my hair done and don't know where to go. Can you recommend anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love knowing which font I'm reading! They always make me feel nostalgic when I see it somewhere else, and a little bit indignant too! Like, "Wow! I love that font! It's the one used in that book I loved! WHAT? How are they using it here! It should only be used in that book!" Example: the Harry Potter font. I will be seriously attached to it forever! Thanks for sharing this fun list, Sarah!

    Here are a few of my simple joys:

    -feeling the fan blowing on me before falling asleep at night

    -licking popsicles - so yummy!

    -looking out my apartment windows and seeing green trees and grass!

    -seeing glittery things (sunglasses, blouses, shoes, etc. sparkle in the sun!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Jin, I go to Sara at the Rocco Altobelli in Minnetonka. It's about 3-5 miles from my mom and dad's house. It's in the grouping of stores once you pass Byerly's. I started seeing Sara a couple years ago and, of course, over time, her rates have gone up and so I'm not happy about that, but she gives good cuts consistently. The salon number is 952-545-6300. I have been thinking of trying out Juut Wayzata. I currently get my hair colored there by Edie (pronounced like Edy's ice cream), and I was thinking of getting it cut there by the girl who styled my hair for Susie's wedding. Her name is Sarah, and from checking out the website, it looks like her rates are lower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. i am so with on the font nerd thing. i remember mentioning to one of my roommates that a book i was reading used one of my favorite fonts, and she thought i was crazy because she never noticed what fonts were used in books. and like Bethany said, the font used in the Harry Potter books is fabulous! it's my favorite.

    i'm half-hispanic and i HATE when people ask me if i'm fluent, or when they insist that i am. i am not fluent. i am conversational. and it makes me feel so much worse about my ability when people think that i can speak spanish fluently!

    some of my simple joys:
    - iced vanilla bean lattes from biggby
    - chocolate milkshakes from mcdonald's
    - strawberry smoothies from the bubble tea back home
    (i really don't know why these are all food-related, but there really isn't anything like a cold beverage, haha)
    - finding the right word to use when you're looking for a particularly sophisticated one
    - laughing so hard my abs hurt
    - a soft mattress
    - getting a handwritten letter in the mail

    ReplyDelete