Thursday, February 14, 2013

no-nap conundrum

stella hasn't napped the last two days, and it looks like she's extending the no-nap streak today, too. she's only 20 months old - she can't be dropping her only nap this soon, right? i am hoping this is just a phase. she also gets really tired by 4 or 5 pm on the days she doesn't nap, but it's obviously too late to put her down then (or else she wouldn't be ready for bed until after 10pm or something), so i have to hold off a cranky, yawning, fussy toddler until at least 7 or so.

i usually blog when she is napping, so i'm not sure when i'm going to get back into my posting groove. i am pretty tired these days, but that is the nature of motherhood (or adulthood in general).

i hope you are feeling loved this valentine's day. i love you, readers!

and with stella's "no tired, no tired!" over the monitor, i am signing off.


10 comments:

  1. Although Elizabeth is far younger, she does go to bed that early (6:00-6:30), especially if she hasn't napped well. Might be worth it to see if it works. Worst case scenario you have to get up extra early and then she probably WILL want to nap for lack of energy from an early wake-up. Silly girl just wants to play:) And I hear you on lack of sleep...one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember the days Stella went down at 6:30! Your suggestion makes sense, and I think I'll try putting her down sometime between 6:30 and 7 tonight. I have to break this weird cycle.

      Delete
  2. "No tired, no tired" - haha!! That little rascal. Hope her napping situation turns around for you quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She's a nut! At least we are having good times together. I try to remind myself that she'll only be this little for only so long, so I'm trying to enjoy every minute. Gotta go...she's licking my Chapstick. lol

      Delete
  3. Don't loose heart Sarah! I feel like all my kids went through that phase and I thought "NOO, they can't be giving up their nap!" It usually staightens itself out. 20 months is really young to try and give up naps completely, especially for your sanity :) Kane is at a weird stage too-sometimes napping in the morning and sometimes not, and when he doesnt its so hard to hold him off until 1 or 1:30, which for me if prime napping time! I'll pray for you as I too have felt really exhausted this week. Love you guys!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight and encouragement, Traci! I will be praying for you, too. Some days (or weeks!) can really be a struggle, can't they? I hope Kane naps better for you and that you feel more rested. Love you, too!

      Delete
  4. Don't give up on the nap! Maybe it just has to be quiet time for a little while. I put a few board books in my kids cribs for them to look at and then started a lullaby CD. They had to have quiet time until the music was done. Sometimes they fell asleep, sometimes not, but at least it's a break for you! We also have the Tag Jr system from Leapfrog. You can look it up online to see it, but I LOVED it. Titus and Madeline graduated onto the regular Tag system now, but if you want to try ours you can. Greta won't need it for a while. Thanks so much for watching the girls today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about not giving up on the nap. My girls both tried that from time to time. I went in to answer their "no tired" type things with instruction to have a quiet time. Talking and jumping were not allowed, but a couple books and an animal to snuggle while awake were totally fine. Then I left them in there for 45 minutes. I had the same experience as Jess -sometimes a nap would come, sometimes not, but we were both better off for the "quiet time." Other things to consider: a highly stimulating and physically active morning helped a ton (come to our house!), a slightly longer transition time (book reading and singing at our house), and an earlier nap time (this worked with both of them at a certain point - I moved from a 1:30 nap to a 12:30 nap).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I third that! (Is that right?) I agree with Jess and Lindsay about not giving up on the nap/quiet time. It's so helpful for the later afternoon to have a nice dinner/play time when daddy gets home! My boys both still have a quiet time in the afternoon, 1 hour, when they listen to audio books. If we've had an exceptionally physical morning, than sometimes they fall asleep. Derek and I have recorded some of their favorite stories in our voices and they love it! Also, I moved their nap time up from 2pm to 1pm, even 12:30 some days. They can also have a couple of books to look through. We miss seeing you guys! We should plan a play date soon....it helps so much in the winter!

    ReplyDelete