Moving day was last Saturday. My dad, uncle Peter, Susie, Jesse, and our friends Pete, Chris, and Zach showed up at around 9 and started moving stuff out. We are so appreciative of their hard work! The whole process went quickly. Brett had picked up a U-Haul truck that morning, and we were able to fit all our stuff in it, as well as some smaller and more delicate items into my dad's Suburban. Our dear brother-in-law Jesse quickly mowed the lawn for us so that Brett didn't have to do it the following day to get ready for the tenants. Thank you, Jesse!!!
| The day before move day, Brett took the day off and we packed; Stella spent the day at my parents' house. |
![]() |
| Uncle Peter, Dad, and Chris chatting as we waited on the others |
![]() |
| Jesse and Uncle Peter moving a couch out |
God had given us a beautiful cool, breezy day. It rained for a brief time, but the rain arrived when they had done about 95% of the packing of the truck, so not bad. My aunt Sharon arrived to the new house with cookies and fresh fruit, and she stayed to clean the very dirty bathroom, and removed some extremely old contact paper from bathroom closet shelves.
Meanwhile, Stella napped 3 1/2 hours at my parents' house. Brett and I unpacked the kitchen stuff right away. The first night in the new place was not good. We tossed and turned all night, and I believe we had to get up with Stella several times, too. The strong smell of the wood stain was giving me a headache and bothering Brett, too. Since then, we've left windows open and have gotten rid of the worst of it. The following morning was Sunday, and Brett had to leave bright and early for the former house to finish projects before the renters arrived the next day, and to let the carpet cleaners in at 8:30. He was gone the entire day. Fortunately my parents drove over, brought him lunch, and helped him out or else he would've been there until midnight. My dad painted part of the back exterior where Brett had replaced some boards, and my mom scrubbed the kitchen cupboards, oven, refrigerator, and bathrooms. Thank you, Mom and Dad!
I'll be honest: this past first week has been really difficult as Brett had to work quite late several evenings, and we have been transitioning to this new life and recovering from the stress of the last couple months leading up to this point. I attended a women's study at church yesterday, and I couldn't even bring myself to share anything, because I knew I would just break down in tears, and I hate crying in public. The past week I have been on the verge of crying (and have cried) every day. While we are so happy with the house, we are tired and overwhelmed. We are trying to take it easy this weekend, although there is so much to do. We did set up some of the furniture downstairs after the carpet cleaners were here Thursday. Internet and cable were hooked up today. Brett washed our huge living room window and front glass door this morning, and I have been trying to get the house in order in other ways. When he gets back from renewing his driver's license at the DMV, we're going to unpack books and put them on the bookshelves.
Moving homes is one of the major life changes one can experience. Not only does it take lots of planning and physical work, but it's emotionally taxing. We outgrew our first home, but it was our first home together. I cried in that home and on walks in that neighborhood as I prayed to become pregnant. We brought our firstborn home there. We walked the floor during the newborn sleepless nights with a screaming baby Stella. We made happy memories there. Last Sunday right before Brett drove home from finishing up the projects, he texted me a picture of the house and my eyes immediately welled up with tears. I felt as though a chapter of our lives had been closed, and I needed a moment to acknowledge that: Thank you God for providing us with that house when we needed it seven or so years ago. Thank you for the memories and the dinners we shared with friends and family. Thank you for not changing in the midst of all this change. We can always count on you and your love and faithfulness. Please guide us as we begin this new chapter of life with a new house and a growing family...
Next post I'll share some pictures of the new place even though it isn't even close to being unpacked or settled around here! :)





I'm so sorry you had a hard week and here I didn't even delve into it at the library:/ Maybe that was for the best. I definitely know what you mean about attaching to a home; Alex and I dated, had our first kiss, got engaged, and spent our wedding night at our first house. It held so many memories...and now this house will be the one with all the new baby memories:)
ReplyDeleteThe library outing was a great diversion from my downer thoughts, especially when watching Stella and Elizabeth running and giggling down the hall together.
Delete