Tuesday, January 20, 2015

anniversary thoughts

Brett and I reached a big marriage milestone on January 7th this year: ten years! We really wanted to go big or go home in celebrating it because we believe it is worth celebrating well. Anything I want to say about reaching anniversaries always sounds so cliche like the usual phrases: "ups and downs"; "highs and lows"; "peaks and valleys"; "hard times and the good times"; "experiencing life together"; "doing life together", etc. With God's grace, and a crazy amount of work and tears that we have spent in dedication to this relationship, we find ourselves at the ten-mark. Like any other marriage, there has been a lot of working out personality differences and how to accommodate each other in that regard; discussions concerning finance; family drama and figuring how much to get involved; picking churches; supporting one another in our jobs. There have been periods of months that led us into steep learning curves; there have been months that nothing seemed to go right because I was so incredibly bogged down in depression; then there have been such sweet times like seeing our babies' first images on the ultrasound. Hearing their first cries. Holding them for the first time. There have been fun dates; weekend getaways to the north; a five-year anniversary to Mexico that, sometimes when we're bogged down, one of us will say to the other, "We'll always have Mexico."

I think I will give myself some permission to gush about this guy that I married. We were 22. Young and fresh out of college. He has always been hardworking. I don't think I have ever witnessed Brett in a lazy moment. I am not even kidding here. His joie de vivre is a breath of fresh air to me. I have so much fun with him discovering new (to us) restaurants, our new favorite wine, drinking a perfectly-brewed cup of coffee; dreaming of traveling someday when the girls are older; the way he appreciates art and values time spent in nature. We like to talk about theology and current events and movies. We like watching tv shows together. He likes to know what I'm thinking and I, him. Sometimes when I miss him, I take a minute to just walk back into the storage room where he keeps his work station and tools.

I love that he's a "man's man" and cultured and intelligent and kind and generous. I love that he plays with the girls, plays Wheels on the Bus on his guitar, and draws funny pictures for Stella and makes hand shadows on the wall with her; he explains Bible stories so she can understand them, and he prays faithfully for the girls.

Brett surprised me with a very special anniversary dinner at the ultra-elegant, beautiful La Belle Vie. I just about died when I stepped foot inside the beautiful lobby. We both chose the chef's tasting menu and sommelier-chosen wine flights. Oh my goodness. Every course was beautifully plated and every bite was so layered with flavor. I included the menu that she sent home with us:


We are also commemorating our special day by going on a trip to the west coast in March.

Brett sent me these beautiful roses!





I showed the girls our wedding album...









I love you, Brett. Here's to many more decades together.  *clink*



2 comments:

  1. sarah, happy (late) anniversary! what a fun milestone. sounds like you had a great celebration. :)

    i have been meaning to send this to you but haven't had a chance to get on your blog to post...usually i just read on my phone while i have a quick second. anyway--you had mentioned a while back about bone broths? i wanted to send along a helpful method. the first time i made some on the stove i was not impressed. it seemed like a ton of work for not much result. BUT...i found a great way to do it in the crock pot. first, you cook a whole chicken in the crock pot for dinner and then make your broth overnight with what is left. it is perfect for chicken noodle/rice soup the next night with the broth and leftover chicken! anyways, here are the links. in the recipe for the chicken, she links to her recipe for bone broth and explains a bit how to do the two in order. i just did this last night for the second time and it works so well. it feels so good to give our families nourishing foods. hope it helps!

    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/01/24/recipe-overnight-chicken-stock-in-the-crock-pot/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I can't wait to try this! I hope you had a wonderful visit with your sister.

      Delete