As I was a couple days late, I thought "what the heck, I'll take a pregnancy test and put my mind at rest either way so that I don't lose another night of sleep wondering." I packed Miss Stella up, and we headed over to Target to buy the test. I fed her lunch, put her down for a nap, and then took the test. I paced back and forth while I waited for the result. Two bold lines stared back at me. WHAT THE WHAT?!! I took the second test. Positive as they come. I called Brett immediately at the office. After three different attempts to reach him, he finally called me back. I probably should've worded it differently, but I said, "Are you sitting down?" To which he nervously replied, "Oh no, did you get in an accident?" After I told him the pregnancy news, he was very excited.
That evening we headed out to a surprise party for my dad's 60th birthday. His Lorence brothers were present, as well as work associates, and his discipleship group guys. Keeping Brett's and my little secret was SO hard...so we only kept it a secret for one day...haha! We decided to tell my family the next day since Luke and Naomi were in town for my dad's birthday. We also FaceTimed with Corinne and Jared (it was midnight in Qatar).
This is how we broke the news to my family. We were hanging out at my parents' the next day, Saturday, the 9th, and we had bought some plain white t-shirts in Stella's size and some Sharpies. Brett wrote "big sister" on one of them, and we told Stella to run out in the other room. Naomi noticed what the shirt said first; then Susie, then my parents, then Jesse and Luke. It was hilarious and happy! We did the same when Brett's parents visited the following weekend.
This is how we broke the news to my family. We were hanging out at my parents' the next day, Saturday, the 9th, and we had bought some plain white t-shirts in Stella's size and some Sharpies. Brett wrote "big sister" on one of them, and we told Stella to run out in the other room. Naomi noticed what the shirt said first; then Susie, then my parents, then Jesse and Luke. It was hilarious and happy! We did the same when Brett's parents visited the following weekend.
At this same time, I was dealing with a nasty virus, which Stella and Brett got eventually. It was a really rough time. I felt guilty for not being more excited about being pregnant, but I just felt lousy and exhausted from having a cold. I felt overwhelmed about being a mom to two, when I was just getting the handle on caring for one. Then the morning sickness hit. I have been so nauseated. The days are so long, and I can hardly wait for the day when I don't feel nauseated. Seeing the baby on the ultrasound today served as a major morale booster. I felt excited, and it was a wonderful feeling.
Brett has been doing so much for me when he gets home from a long day of work. I start getting the horrible taste in my mouth at around 1 or 2, and then it progresses into horrible nausea that lasts well into the evening/until I fall asleep. I am exhausted, too, and never know what I will want to eat by dinner, so sometimes Brett picks something up on the way home, or he and Stella eat something normal, and I just nibble on toast or pretzel sticks. It's a weird existence. My dr. prescribed me Zofran again, and I take that at night because it makes me dizzy and sleepy. I feel pretty decent in the mornings, but after lunch, it's a different story. Thankfully BSF is in the morning, so I'm okay for that.
I crave Clementine tangerines and orange juice. That's about it. Oh wait, and McDonald's. :( I'm not even so sure that sounds good to me anymore, but in the last couple weeks, I've had to get a McChicken and french fries a couple times for lunch. Stella is very supportive of my McDonald's choice - she now asks for french fries. This is hard for me, too, because I'm a pretty healthy eater when I'm NOT in my first trimester of pregnancy. I keep reminding myself that this is a temporary diet, and I'll get back to my old self in due time.
Mom has helped so much by taking Stella on walks so that I can rest. Being pregnant with an active toddler is way different than being pregnant and sitting at a desk all day like last time. She is my little ray of sunshine and does the most hilarious things to make me laugh. She does this little funny walk like an old woman or something, and makes the funniest face while she does it. On some of my worst days, she has stopped what she's doing and said to me, "cute Mommy" or "pretty Mommy." Last week she walked over to me where I was sitting on the couch, and kissed both my knees, and then went back to playing. She is a blessing.
Yikes, this post is getting long. Anyway, in addition to having a November 14 due date (my mom's birthday!), we are actively searching for a new home. I'll write more about that later. It's 8:30 and I'm ready for bed.
Please keep the pregnancy and our little family in your prayers. Brett and Stella are both fighting colds again, and we are all just tired and surviving this crazy first trimester. I was sick while pregnant with Stella until week 16 or 17, and I'm not showing any signs of relief this time, so it could be awhile...
CONGRATS!
ReplyDeleteSuper fun & great news!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo excited! =]
ReplyDeleteCongrats, Sarah!
ReplyDelete