Wednesday, April 23, 2014

life since I last posted...

One really doesn't know what a day will bring forth. A person is here and the next day he's gone. As many of you know already, Brett's colleague, Steve, was involved in a fatal head-on collision Friday morning, April 11. The morning of that fateful day, Brett texted me that Steve hadn't come into work, and it was unusual for him to not call to let them know he was going to be late. I waited on pins and needles to know what was going on. One of the other employees mentioned that she had heard there was an accident on highway 12 and guessed he was in traffic because of that, but surely he would've called to let them know he was stuck in traffic, so they looked online and found news of the accident. They saw a picture of Steve's car - coincidence? Maybe. Brett also noticed the unique rims on Steve's car. They prayed it wasn't him. His business partner called Steve's wife. She confirmed that it was indeed Steve. The police were already at their house to relay the tragic news.

I really don't want to rehash any more of it because it's been so draining. And I think if it's this draining for us, how much more so for the family. I can only imagine what they're thinking and feeling. So much grief. Such a blow. Death is so awful. Last Wednesday, the 16th, was my 32nd birthday. The same day as the funeral. Oh the irony of life celebrated and death acknowledged on the same day. It was snowing pretty hard. It was a sad day. I didn't feel like celebrating my birthday, but Brett and Stella did run to Byerly's to buy me a cake, and we ate it at my parents' house. My mom, along with my brother Luke and my sister-in-law Naomi, who were in town last week, took care of the girls while we went to Delano for the funeral.

It was such a sad, dreary day. Still so surreal. I spoke with and/or saw people at the funeral who used to work with Brett at previous jobs. I chatted with one of Brett's former bosses who shares a birthday with me. We said we would definitely remember this birthday (as the day we attended Steve's funeral). I had met Steve years ago at this former boss's Super Bowl party. Brett had stayed in touch with Steve over the years because of mutual work connections, and Brett's business partner and his wife knew Steve and his wife well.

To make matters worse, Steve's wife came home after the funeral to discover their house had been burglarized. Disgusting. Our hearts just sank when we heard about that.

Since the office was closed for the funeral day, Brett still had to make some trades for work before we left for the funeral. 

Head covered in snow on my April birthday

Driving back from the funeral in inclement weather

Stella helped Brett pick out a cake

On a lighter note, let's move on from the sadness. Last week was wonderful because I got to spend quality time with my younger brother Luke and his wife, Naomi. We hadn't seen them in nearly a year.




Hanging out with Aunt Naomi

Changing Grace into her pajamas

Snuggling!

Watching Frozen

Easter Sunday pictures!



















Easter brunch at Blvd


Oh, and a little special someone turned 5 months old on the 18th :)





1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Brett's colleague, Sarah. How sad.

    I so enjoyed the darling pictures of your girls. They are so precious.

    Love you!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete