Tuesday, April 29, 2014

the hodge podge post

I suppose I don't really have a unifying theme for my thoughts today, so I'll just kind of throw everything out here and hope it makes sense!

Today was the last regular day of BSF for the 2013-14 season. Looking back to when the first day started back in September, I was a couple months away from delivering Grace; we had only moved into our new house two months earlier; I don't think Brett had even started the new company yet. During this BSF "school" year, my BSF friends supported me through challenges of a husband working long hours, sickness, having a baby, injuring toes, sick kids, etc. Stella and Grace were blessed with loving caregivers while I discussed the lessons of Matthew with the other women and then listened to teaching. Today Stella's teachers gave each of the kids a dum-dum sucker and little bottle of bubbles. :) Grace's caregivers gave the mothers a bookmark with the Beatitudes printed on it. Next Tuesday there is no childcare, and we wrap up the BSF year with a day of sharing of how God has worked in our lives through the study of Matthew. Also this Saturday, my BSF discussion/small group is getting together for brunch. I hope we are able to see each other over the summer, too.

We Minnesotans have been experiencing A LOT of rain over the last week. Looking back, it was such a blessing to have such a warm, sunny day for Easter, and then the weather turned very wet! I personally enjoy the rain because it's so cozy, but it's starting to get a little old since it's basically been raining for days on end now. It almost feels like winter again - not being able to go outside, so we're back to playing with blocks, reading books, etc. Stella has gym class through the first week or two of June; and music class doesn't work with our schedule anymore, so unfortunately we're going to have to drop that, I think. I'm going to research some good activities for Stella to do, but then again, I really don't want to over book her for summer as I'd rather meet up with other moms and their kids to play at parks or the beach, or whatever. 

I've unofficially started a sugar detox as of yesterday. I'm cutting out refined sugars, added sugar, fake sugar, etc. I'm going to continue to eat fresh fruit. My goal is to eliminate my intense cravings for sugar and sweetness in general. I want to get to a point that I CAN actually have sugar in MODERATION and be able to define what moderation is for me. I'm tired of craving sugar and turning to it when I'm stressed out, depressed, upset, bored, or even happy. I don't want to be dependent on it. 



I have been back to making better balanced meals. I love food. I love taking pictures of food. I am going to a grilling party in a couple weeks, and I can't wait to share about that, too. (More on that to come!) Okay, I'm going to share my mundane little weeknight meals because I look for cooking inspiration in lots of places, and maybe I can inspire you a little, too? I try to incorporate a few vegetables, a protein, and a healthy-ish carb. I don't always succeed, but here goes.

Brett made these smoked salmon eggs benedict from the Against All Grain cookbook. Insanely good.

Leftover grilled mushrooms and vegetables (red and orange bell peppers; summer squash; zucchini; red onions) scrambled with eggs 

Baked chicken (with almond meal coating); sweet potatoes; green beans

My most recent favorite from Trader Joe's is the Organic Beef Sirloin Roast. It's about $12. It's already cooked, so you just heat it through for half an hour at 325 degrees. I cooked up some rainbow quinoa from Target and heated up a bag of frozen vegetables.


I wish I could say I made the above coconut shrimp and the sea scallops below, but I actually had the privilege of eating these delicious dishes at McCormick and Schmick's for my birthday dinner. 


I tossed kale with olive oil and sea salt and then roasted it. So good. Stella even tried it!

Stella's lunch the other day: roasted kale, pistachios, strawberries, and Applegate Farms chicken nuggets

I suppose I've been thinking of healthy foods as good, better, and best. I'm trying to get the most nutritional bang for my meals. I shoot for the best stuff as often as I can. I'm focusing on eating real, whole foods rather than processed. More vegetables. Some fruit. Kick the sugar habit so that I don't crave it. Drink water as often as I can.

Okay, moving on from food. :) I'm reading again!!! I recently read:


...and now I'm reading The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott.


The other day, I pulled out this sticker activity book that I had gotten at the Usborne books party, and Stella and I worked on it for at least an hour. She had SO MUCH fun. 





I just had to share this picture of Grace's fat cheek
Stella at play:

It doesn't matter how chilly it is: she loves playing on the deck. In this moment, she was marching and singing exuberantly.

So my kid likes to wash gas line marker flags (the gas company put them in last fall for the guy who planted a tree in our backyard)

I told her there were no pictures, but she had to see for herself

She loves "washing dishes"
Stella and Grace are becoming little buddies!

Sometimes I ask Stella to "babysit" for me while I complete a short task. She takes great pride in watching Grace for me!




A few pictures of little Gracie. She's growing too fast, and it's breaking my heart.

I think I've already posted this, but it's one of my favorites!





Office area organization update! Okay, the black monitor is from Brett's work and is just there temporarily while he has to work on something. We bought all the organizational stuff from The Container Store.


Well, thanks for sticking it out to the end. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment