Tuesday, August 12, 2014

anticipating autumn {fashion edition}

While I've never been a huge fan of summer (long story that I don't feel like elaborating about right now), this summer has been really good for me. In spite of Brett's continued crazy schedule, this summer has been a sweet time to connect with other friends, go on walks and other little outings with the girls, and just take things very slowly instead of bustling around like the rest of the year. Around this time in August, though, I really look forward to all the crisp beauty that autumn brings. And the fashion. Not that I am ever fashionable, and I usually just window shop and never pull the trigger on things I really want because well, if I'm honest, I don't think I'm worth it sometimes to get the really nice stuff. It's like I think I'm too out of shape, so I'm not worthy, and it would be a waste of money in case I do lose these nagging leftover pounds from pregnancy.

Losing weight this time around has been so hard. Grace is almost 9 months old, and by this time postpartum with Stella, I had lost it all and then some. With Stella I was able to go on a couple walks a day throughout the winter even because the year she was born, we had one of the mildest winters on record. Now if I want to go on a walk, Stella likes to get out of the stroller and walk and explore and put sticks and rocks in the stroller, and this does not make for ideal exercise conditions. Also, I am under way more stress and not sleeping nearly as much as I did when Stella was a baby. So stress is a weight loss inhibitor not to mention lack of sleep. Not that I should make excuses, but there are some very real factors getting in the way. I also broke my toe and dislocated another one in December, and the recovery was very long. In fact, I still feel pain in the toe that was dislocated from time to time. 

I'm considering ditching the sugar again and greatly reducing processed carbs. I'm also going to research some sleep strategies for Grace. She has been waking up because she flips onto her stomach and then lifts herself up onto her arms, and then cries and screams until one of us flips her back onto her back. Then she is so worked up still that I just nurse her because it works like magic to calm her down. So yes, I'm probably enabling her and forming bad habits. I just don't want her to wake up Stella or Brett, so I calm her down. I usually pause first to see if she'll go back to sleep before going into her room, and she has been able to self-soothe, so it's not like I'm running in there whenever I hear a peep out of her. This is just uncharted territory for us as Stella was such a good sleeper.

But, back to anticipating fall and all the beautiful fashion it brings! I love looking at the fashion magazines in August and September. I think to myself maybe someday I'll have a put-together wardrobe like the "cool" girls, and I'll get my act together. I'll start shopping for ensembles and outfits rather than just buying separate pieces and hoping they'll somehow go together. 

In the meantime, I'm trying to be somewhat stylish while getting used to my body after having gone through two pregnancies and two postpartum recovery periods. Let's just say the body redistributes itself, and I feel like I'm never going to be the same again, and I've been going through somewhat of a grieving process about this. Some women, I'm sure, can snap back into shape, but I'm sure most of us would admit that not everything is the same as it once was, and it's disheartening. 

I love all the booties (see below!) and am considering getting some to go with skinny jeans. I like casual clothes for the most part, but I'd really like to have some cute outfits for going out with girlfriends and for dates with Brett.

Over the past month or so, I've been pinning fall clothes to a "secret" board on Pinterest. Here are some of my favorites:
Barefoot Blond blog/Nordstrom/Banana Republic/JCrew/Stella & Dot

I've also become a little hooked on leopard print. These Sperry Angelfish shoes just arrived today, and I have started looking for a leopard tote of some kind. 

sperry
kate spade


laurenconrad.com

In addition to fall finds for myself, I have had fun looking for fun clothes for the girls, too. Luckily their clothes go on sale more often. :)

marimekko/peek/stem/seed heritage/freshly picked/gap/gap

tea collection/pippa and julie/swallow's return (etsy shop)/freshly picked/tucker+tate/boden/jcrew/gap/gap

I have some ideas for Brett, too. :) Don't think I've forgotten him. I love men's fashion! Suits! Ties! Boots!

What is catching your eye this fall? Do you window-shop or take the plunge?

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, Have you tried letting Grace sleep on her stomach? My babies always slept better once they started sleeping on their stomachs. I think they startle awake more easily when they sleep on their backs. I know that every child is different and what works for some doesn't work for others but it doesn't hurt to try. Hope you find something that works for her so you can all get a good night's sleep. Praying for you all to get to feeling better too! Sonia

    ReplyDelete