Thursday, May 7, 2015

for the love of food


If you know Brett and me at all, you may be aware that we love food. And wine, of course. Brett likes to cook, and I sometimes get bitten by the cooking bug and we will eat some good meals to break up the boring chicken-plus-a-side nights. I have found some solid recipes on Pinterest, and I thought I would share a couple. This soup/chili only requires five ingredients, and then you can add on chopped cilantro, avocado, cheese, and sour cream as toppings if you'd like. It is savory and filling with a little zip from the salsa verde. 



We think this southwest chopped salad serves as a nice complement to any Mexican dish.



No recipe here: I just sort of threw together some quintessential Mexican food ingredients into a quesadilla. We love the handmade flour tortillas from Trader Joe's because they are so soft and taste good, too.


No recipe here, either, but Brett grilled shrimp and roasted broccolini one evening for our dinner. The garlic mashed potatoes are from Lakewinds. Wonderful flavors all around. I love grilling season.


Stella's new favorite meal for breakfast or lunch: English muffin topped with almond butter and honey. One time I added bananas, too. Ever since watching the documentary Fed Up, we've been actively trying to reduce our girls' sugar intake, and that has meant not buying their beloved Frosted Mini Wheats anymore. Breakfast time has become more challenging as Stella is not as willing to eat eggs as Grace is.


Below you will see the ingredients necessary for another one of our favorites. I have made this recipe twice. Full disclosure: for some reason, I liked it way more the first time I made it than the second. I don't think I did anything differently, although I think I used chicken thighs the first time and chicken breasts the second.



I made these Asian-inspired turkey meatballs a couple weeks ago. Brett and I enjoyed them, and it was fun to eat something Asian to break up our usual chicken-centric meals.

note: I used coconut aminos instead of soy sauce

The only nicer restaurant we've eaten at (since we wined and dined on the West Coast last month) is new-to-us Libertine. We went with another couple and really enjoyed the company and dinner! I love, love, love trying new restaurants.

Tomorrow night we are going to a little dinner party at our neighbors' house. God has been so good to me to send a wonderful friend in my life. And the clincher is that she lives only two doors down from me! She is hosting a French-inspired dinner as part of a project she is doing this year which involves invoking Parisian ways of living into her Midwestern life.

UPDATE: The dinner party last night was so enjoyable and wonderful. Here are some pictures!







Have you tried any new restaurants lately? What meals have you been serving up that your family enjoys?

No comments:

Post a Comment