She attends two mornings per week, and so far she loves it! I cried after dropping her off because I had one of those end-of-a-phase realizations. My firstborn is in preschool which means next year is kindergarten which means she will be gone all day next year and then that pretty much means she'll be an adult. I know. A little crazy the way my brain skipped a decade or more.
2. Grace, oh Grace.
Oh how we love her in spite of her challenging nature. She recently went through a terrible nap strike and was waking multiple times at night. After some difficult nights of having to lay her back down in her crib all business-like countless times, I eventually sent her the message that her behavior was not acceptable, and I think she finally got the picture. Not going to lie--it was a really trying time. The most common phrase we hear from other people or from our own mouths is: "Oh, Gracie."
She is such a ham. A spitfire.
And then there was the pen incident.
But then she wants me to wrap her penguin in a swaddle blanket, and her cuteness just melts me.
3. Outings and activities.
| We met up with Brett for dinner and a walk around Centennial Lakes. |
![]() |
| It was pretty dead there the Saturday of Labor Day weekend |
| Sculpture Garden several weeks ago |
4. Brett and the Boundary Waters
Brett enjoyed his third or fourth time in the Boundary Waters over Labor Day weekend. It was a bit warmer this year than previous visits. I'm sure if you ask him about his trip, his eyes will brighten and he'll love to tell you about it. :)
| Brett and his brother, Brian |
5. Working on my fitness a la Fergie
I've been going to physical therapy for a month now for various back and neck problems, and now a brand new pain in my arm which she believes is nerve-related. I think I've mentioned before that I never properly "bounced back" from pregnancy with Grace, so I've been working with a PT to strengthen my core and regain my posture before pregnancy and nursing slumped me forward. I can't tell you how hard it is to relearn how to stand and sit correctly. Once I heal and correct some things concerning my body, I'll be able to do regular exercise again. In the meantime, I am learning about patience. I am trying to accept my broken feeling hideous-to-myself body, and realizing this recovery might take a lot longer than expected.
PSA: Parents, you might not want to be a hero and carry all the things in one hand and your kid on the other hip whilst reaching and bending over and doing a million things simultaneously. Kind of rough on the bod.
6. BSF
We are studying the book of Revelation this year in BSF. BSF has never tackled Revelation before, and because of that along with other reasons like people's interest in the end times, record-breaking numbers of women and men have registered for the class.
This is my fourth year in the program, and my first year without Grandma being there. She was involved in the program for at least 45 years! I experienced that lump-rising-in your-throat feeling as I drove to the church that first day. My goal was to not cry in front of anyone. I teared up when I looked over at the spot where she would usually sit. We sang "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" and the tears formed in my eyes because I associate my grandma with music. I got most of my crying done with on the way to the church, and I was relieved when the morning at BSF was over. I got over the first hurdle. Oh, Grandma. You're in heaven now. You know infinitely more than all the years of biblical knowledge you acquired in your earthly lifetime.
| photo credit to Jared Lorence |
7. Book it
I just finished All the Light We Cannot See. Read it. It's amazing. I hate attempting to write book reviews, so all I can say is to read it. The writing is so masterful and beautiful. The first 30 or so pages were slow, and I didn't pick the book up for a few weeks, but when I returned to it and forged through, then I was so hooked that the story was all I could think about.
8. Rut/all the negative feels
See number 5 for general blah feelings about life lately. Feeling meh about meal planning. Cooking. Social life. I just want to snap out of it. You know when you are in those times of discontentment and you're disgusted with yourself for being such an Eeyore? That's where I am. Like I hate all the clothes in my closet and my hair- that kind of funk. Kind of laughable.
I see unfinished projects around the house and feel like we're never going to accomplish anything because there is never any time. Bleh. Snap out of it, Sarah. I'm feeling a lot of wanderlust, but I've got this husband who has some work deadlines to hit, and we're in that phase of life requiring us to buckle down and stay on the home front. I daydream about going back to Napa, or maybe visiting a new city somewhere. I really don't think international travel will be an option until our kids are school-aged so, for now, it's American cities...or going up to the North Shore.
I see unfinished projects around the house and feel like we're never going to accomplish anything because there is never any time. Bleh. Snap out of it, Sarah. I'm feeling a lot of wanderlust, but I've got this husband who has some work deadlines to hit, and we're in that phase of life requiring us to buckle down and stay on the home front. I daydream about going back to Napa, or maybe visiting a new city somewhere. I really don't think international travel will be an option until our kids are school-aged so, for now, it's American cities...or going up to the North Shore.
![]() |
| Jesus take the wheel |
Give me the weekend when B cooks for me, and I don't have to hurt myself mentally just trying to figure out 3 square meals for the day. Bonus points for flowers and my fave wine, Educated Guess. Do you ever have those weeks where you just cannot for the life of you figure out what to make for dinner? Don't even get me started on lunch. Then some weeks it just clicks and we eat well.
And just like the end of Madeline:
And she turned out the light-
and closed the door-
and that's all there is-
there isn't any more.









No comments:
Post a Comment