Friday, January 29, 2016

what we've been up to...

The girls update:

I love my time spent with Stella and Grace. Even on the longest, most challenging days, I never doubt that this is exactly where I want to be. I think back to the days when we were trying to get pregnant, and when I was starting to despair that it would never happen, and now I have two children, and I get to do what I have always wanted to do. I love hearing their conversations, watching them play together, and talking to them. They have been fighting a little more lately, but they also seem to play together better when they do get along. 

To be honest, there are days I think I may lose my mind, but God always supplies for every need. We stop so often to pray and ask God 'to give Mommy patience' and for the girls to listen and obey and to love each other instead of fight. Believe me, I am thankful and relieved for Thursday mornings when the girls both go to preschool and I can enjoy some quiet and get things done. It's amazing how many things I have to postpone until Thursday to get done: compose emails, register for activities, meal plan, get groceries, research stuff for the home. I don't like looking at my phone or being on the computer for long periods of time when I'm around the girls, so when they're at preschool, it's my time to do my online research. I find most of my recipes online, so that requires using the computer, and I tell myself not to feel guilty if I do have to spend time on the computer when they're home playing or whatever. Fellow research-type friends, do you get where I'm coming from? I also do most of my shopping online because it's easier than taking the girls with me to the mall to try on clothes. I love the places that offer free exchanges and returns!

I have been so valuing any time I can get alone. I love the quiet. I am an INFJ who definitely has a "rich inner life", and being able to sort through my thoughts and process them, (and then hopefully hand them over to God in prayer) is so valuable to me. 

When I pick up the girls when their morning at preschool is over, I feel so excited and energized to see them. For us, it's just the right amount of time to be apart from each other, although sometimes I know I could use at least three more hours to get everything done it is I need to do. 









Force-feeding salad to Mr. Potato Head

Their rocket ship which can also be converted into a regular passenger plane. (Stella then piloted their way to Ohio so that she could visit her cousins, Ava and Sophia). When Stella addressed the passengers on the flight, she notified them that all the children on the plane would get a sticker book. And there would be coffee for the moms.

Playing with her Barbies and other Frozen dolls.

From left to right: Me, Grace, and Stella

Stella's been into drawing snowman families 

I was gathering baby toys to stow away for cousin Gweny when she'll be in Minnesota for the summer, and Grace was newly interested in playing with everything. 

The moment Stella notified me of Grace's diaper. 

Watching Monsters, Inc



Her carrot cake!

Stella to Grace: "I like your style!"



House improvement update:

We replaced our old couches downstairs with this Harrison sectional from Room & Board. The cushions are down-filled and so comfortable for lounging. We can now all fit on the couch when we watch a movie together as a family on Friday nights. I am on the search for new throw pillows, an ottoman, and a rug to tie it all together. We checked out the uber popular LAPPLJUNG rug at IKEA, but once I saw it in person, I just wasn't feeling it, so we didn't buy it. 


Current rugs catching my eye:



I love this pillow from Target! 

We'll probably end up with a charcoal and white rug and then some brightly-colored accents.

While we were at IKEA, we picked up this other popular item that I have seen a million times on blogs and Pinterst. I stored some of the girls' toys in it, but I may use it for something else eventually. It also comes in gray and another color I can't remember right now. Aqua is one of our accents downstairs, so it worked perfectly. 


Brett had a day off recently, so he bought some trim to put around the basement and pantry doors. He's still not completely done, as he needs to paint the doors another coat of white paint, and caulk over (not even sure that's what it's called), and paint the nail holes.

Over one weekday evening and one Saturday morning, totaling 5 hours (aaaaah!), we met with a Smith & Noble consultant to help us figure out window treatments for our kitchen sliding door windows, window above the kitchen sink, our huge living room window, and the fireplace room windows. We picked out shades and cornices, and unfortunately, we can't order everything until the end of February, when one of the products is available. For the first time ever, they are offering a two-on-one option for a cassette/headrail for the shades that will cover our sliding glass door. We didn't want to get two cassettes because one would look more streamlined, so wait we shall. I am so glad all that decision-making is over. They have SO many fabrics, colors, etc. that I thought my brain was going to explode looking at everything. 


Finally got an organizer for my makeup drawer. Why hadn't I done this years ago?! I love it!


Meals, healthy eating attempts:



One of our favorite sauces

I make chicken parmesan at least once every two weeks. The girls and Brett like theirs over spaghetti noodles.


I bought a sprializer this week and I can't wait to make my first batch of zoodles (zucchini "noodles")

Stella actually ate and enjoyed these roasted Brussels sprouts the other night. She said, "I really like these green things, Mom!"

Leftover roasted vegetables with eggs makes a great breakfast!


Stella and I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies one afternoon this week. She was so excited to give some to Brett to try when he got home from work, and she proudly brought over some to Grandpa's house to enjoy. 


Closing misecellaneous pictures:

Walking to our neighbors' house for a hangout

Grace's Melted Snowman craft from preschool

Waiting to find out Grace's reaction to her cookie


Decorating a ribbon for waving around while dancing. :)

Stella's book, as dictated to Brett; illustrated by Stella and Brett:









2 comments:

  1. Love the update!

    Also, your love for your girls shines through each of your blog posts. I'm sure they will love looking back on all of your posts someday and seeing how treasured they were as littles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the posting. Love and miss you all !! Elaine

    ReplyDelete