Wednesday, March 23, 2011

the proper care and feeding of husbands

i remember when i was dating brett and looking forward to the day we would be married. i couldn't wait to take care of him, to be with him. when he was sick at college, i was frustrated because there was only so much i could do for him because we lived in dorms instead of together and married. i loved shopping with him and helping him get the appropriate clothes for interviews or other things. (i still do!)

i have been married to him for 6 years, and i have come to realize that i have a very self-sufficient, independent husband. he is a better cook than I; he is handy at fixing things; he is mechanical; when he is sick, he is tough and doesn't require or want a lot of fussiness from me; many times before i can even tackle a task, he has already handled it. the other day he said to me: i have been thinking of ways i can take better care of you. (swoon) yes, but what do i get to do for him?

well, i think i have some ideas. when i am finally laid off next week, i will have TIME and energy (ok, not a lot of energy-let's not get too ambitious or anything-i AM almost 8 months pregnant, sarah!)  i can get the grocery shopping done during the week, i can take his shirts to the dry cleaner and do other errand-y things, and i can plan meals better. so that is where i am going to start. oh, and i am going to organize some things that we have both been irritated by for a long time, but just haven't had the time to tackle.

i think staying productive (yet resting) and serving brett and getting ready for baby j will be practical ways of getting out of my funk (see previous post). i want to attack this from both practical and spiritual angles.

i have been thinking how i want to be purposeful of not putting brett or our marriage on the back burner once the baby arrives. i have witnessed this happening in other marriages and it saddens me. we fell in love with each other first. yes, the baby will require TONS of attention, but i am going to be mindful of brett, too. we have discussed that we still want to make going out to dinner or spending time together a priority. i don't think i will have too much trouble finding babysitting. :)

what kinds of things do you do for your husband to take care of him or to make him feel special? if you have kids, how do you keep your marriage a priority?


1 comment:

  1. Oh Sarah, your heart is so in the right place. Remember that sometimes it's the littlest things that speak the loudest or mean the most.

    When Carl and I got married, we were instant family and we both knew that it would take a concerted effort on our parts to make our marriage work. We had date nights at least once a week. Sometimes all we could afford was a simple pasta dinner by candlelight in our little townhouse or sneaking out to a matinee right after work. For several years, we would go to a B&B for a night, usually for our anniversary but not always. I encourage you to consider the same.

    I think finding ways for Carl to more fully enjoy or experience his hobbies - for example, when we were first married, I bought a tv with closed captioning because he struggled so much to understand conversations in his favorite programs. At Marit's suggestion, for the same reasons, I bought an iPod and loaded it with all his favorite music.

    The one thing I do to take care of him that he probably wouldn't appreciate if he knew exactly what I'm doing. :) For example, I often use MorningStar Crumbles or ground turkey in place of ground beef in my casseroles.

    Not sure where I fit in the lineup for babysitters, but if I could be the back up to the back up, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete