I knew becoming a mom would be a big life change, but I didn't know just how drastic it would be. Being a stay-at-home mom is absolutely what I want to do and I have no doubts about that, but it can be very lonely sometimes. Stella still isn't on a concrete schedule, so it's hard to set up times to see other people or hang out with other moms who are at home, too. And besides, they have their own babies and older kids who have their own naps and feeding schedules, so it's hard for them to receive visitors, too.
Anyway, I didn't intend for this to take on a negative tone...I am just brainstorming ideas for winter, so I can bookmark them and refer to them when the dreariness sets in. What do you do to brighten up your winter? If you are a mom, what do you do with your baby in the winter?
In other news, Miss Stella turns 5 months old today. Her personality is really blossoming, and it's so fun to watch her make more facial expressions and talking sounds. She loves when we read books to her and will often sit still enough and listen for up to 6-7 books in a row. We have been trying to let her cry it out a little bit more every night since she is older now. It is really hard to hear that crying! We let her cry for 5 minutes and if she is still crying hard, then one of us goes into her room and strokes her stomach and shushes her and consoles her for about a minute and then leaves the room again and repeats the process if she continues to cry. She has been difficult to put down at night whereas at 3-4 months old she went down more easily and stayed asleep for the night. The last three nights she has been waking up anywhere from 4:30 to 6:00. Daylight saving time is partly to blame, I think. Last night we tried feeding her rice cereal mixed with formula last night. Babies eat this sort of thing first so that they can learn how to push food to the back of their mouth. She gagged on it and made a funny face as she is not used to the taste of formula much less having to swallow something thicker than milk. At first she was so fascinated and distracted by the bright colors and texture of her bib that we had to take it off so that she would see the spoon and learn to open her mouth when she saw it. It was pretty funny.
Let me know your ideas for winter...and any encouragement for mothering an infant would be greatly appreciated, too. :)
My friend Michelle R. lent Stella this fun play gym/mat toy. The first time Stella played on it she smiled and laughed non-stop. :)
About the SHM thing. It is hard, esp. with the first (I think). I used to feel tethered with feedings, now it's naps and mealtimes (since Audrey's eating solids). I am beginning to realize that maybe once or twice a week it'd be okay to mess with her schedule a little since it can be inconsistent anyway. That and we need to get out of the house some days! :)
ReplyDeleteI actually joined my chapter of the International MOMs Club: http://www.momsclub.org/
Sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink it. :( Also, ECFE classes (google for your area info) - I am considering doing this over the winter.
I am not looking forward to the cold either! But, it'll be fun celebrating the holidays with a little one. Good luck with gathering ideas for the season ahead - let me know if you hear of any other good ones.
-Missy
Oh, and happy 5 months to Stella! ;o)
ReplyDeleteIs International Moms Club something I could go to with you or is it by city? I suppose I could look it up myself. haha! I was thinking of doing ECFE as well...I will let you know if I hear of any other good ideas. :) Let me know which day is best for you and Audrey to hang out.
ReplyDeleteSorry, just got back to your comment now. It's by city - since everything they do is local to where you live. Maybe you already figured that out. :) We're all sick here (and teething!) - hopefully it passes soon. Maybe we can shoot for sometime after Thanksgiving? We would love to see you two!
ReplyDeleteHey Sarah!
ReplyDeleteIf you're up to it, a trip to the library might be fun for you and Stella! They have fun "new" toys there and lots of kids books. I don't know exactly when, but they have read aloud group times as well. I see parents bringing kids of all ages!
Another idea would be to take a mom/baby swimming class or exercise class together. It would definitely be a fun excuse to get out of the house and meet other moms with babies around the same age.
Of course, you can always stop by my family's house too! They tell me all about it anytime Miss Stella comes for a visit! I just wish I didn't have to work so I could be there too!
Love you Sarah!
Bethany