Friday, November 4, 2011

keep 'em low

Just a reminder, readers, to keep your expectations LOW for this blog. I hope to eventually WRITE things to which I have actually given thought, but for now it's going to be Stella pictures. I am a recovering perfectionist and my lack of good content here is embarrassing to me. My blog is suffering a bit of an identity crisis right now as I figure out what kind of blog I want it to be. I don't want it to be a "mommy blog" because there are 100 million of those out there right now and so many of you are moms so why would you want to read or look at pictures of my kid when you have your own? Then again, I don't have much free time to post a good five-paragraph, thought-out thing. (And I blank out on words because I am so tired. I just wrote thing because I couldn't think of the noun I wanted). And there are times I just want to delete this entire blog because it hangs over me like an ominous cloud: UPDATE ME! UPDATE ME! WRITE SOMETHING FUNNY. WRITE SOMETHING INTELLECTUAL. CONNECT WITH YOUR READERS. ENTERTAIN THEM! I get excited to start a new blog and I go strong for about the first five posts and then I just want to delete everything and start afresh. And I hate the title. I loathe trying to come up with blog names. I want something that conveys that this blog is just a collection of scattered thoughts; a smattering of opinions; a sharing of my experiences. I also like the imagery of dark/night as depression or trials whereas day/morning as joy and hope. Also, I like writing about serious and deep things, but there is a side of me that just wants to focus on light and fun things for awhile. And I'm sorry if the single people/married without kids/people with their own kids are annoyed by the pictures. I can't help it. I love taking pictures of my girl.

Well, I just broke the cardinal rule of blogging: don't blog about blogging. Meh. Who cares. The professionals can worry about that.

Oh, check out Annie's blog. I can't even remember how I found her blog, but she is a college student in Michigan and she is a great writer. I linked up to a series she did last month about writing. You will learn about interesting things (there I go again with thing) like the tricolon and the extended metaphor. Reading her posts make me a little nostalgic for college and all those interesting literature, writing, grammar, and linguistics courses I took. Believe it or not, at one time in my life, I knew all that stuff inside and out. :)

4 comments:

  1. Just my opinion...but you don't have to have a purpose or a theme or whatever to your blog. It's YOURS. If you want to write about Stella, do it. If you want to post pictures, do it. If you want to write something serious, or funny, or whatever is on your mind...just let it flow. I happen to enjoy reading whatever you write about (and I have feeling your other readers do too). Also, it doesn't matter how often you post - it's your time-line, no one else's. Just my two cents! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with the previous commenter! i enjoy your blog - words, pictures, title, everything - so please do keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah I love your blog and I love the Stella updates. It is fun to see what she is now able to do as she grows and to hear your perspectives on parenting. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement, ladies. I love reading every one of your blogs. Write on!

    ReplyDelete