Tuesday, July 28, 2015

current favorite products

Who else loves trying out beauty products? These are my most recent finds. My hair is really fine, and it can get weighed down in summer heat and humidity, so I like to spray a little dry shampoo or apply some baby powder to my roots to absorb excess moisture. I love the way this dry shampoo smells way more than the Pssst! brand I've been using lately. 

I am always trying to cover up my undereye circles and puffiness, so I just bought this Garnier anti-dark-circle roller. It feels nice and cool to slide the roller on your skin, and it deposits a little concealer, too. I also have the Maybelline concealer roller, but the sponge applicator sometimes feels too rough (I have sensitive skin), so I like this one a little more.


Pictured below are my most recent Sephora finds. My skin tends to get really dry, so I like tinted moisturizers. This Laura Mercier one is nice and sheer, and you can layer it for more coverage. I really like this lipstick, too. I love going to Sephora because they can run a "color id" for your skin tone to find the best foundation match--and then they suggest lipstick colors, too.

My go-to for face wash is good ol' Dove white bar soap. A family member's dermatologist said that it's really all you need. Plain and simple. I used the Neutrogena naturals facial cleanser every other day when I use my Clarisonic. My skin is sensitive, so I only use the Clarisonic every other day or every 3 days. At night, I apply The Honest Company healing balm under my eyes. I love that stuff. I use it on the girls' scrapes (after they have scabbed over) to accelerate healing, and it works like a charm. If I'm out of diaper rash cream, I use it on Grace, and it clears up so fast.


I bought this before Brett and I went to California last February. I like that it's gradual, so it's not like you apply it one night, and then you wake up oompa-loompa orange. It gives some subtle color, which is good for me because I'm so fair-skinned that I don't want to go from 0 to 60 overnight when it comes to the color of my skin.


I have used this Aveeno lotion for a long time. I like it as a base before I put on my makeup. It's light, which is perfect for summer. A lot of people don't particularly like The Honest Company's sunscreen because it's thick and kind of greasy, but I just rub a tiny bit into my hands, and it really goes a long way. After I wash my face, my skin feels so dry, that if I just put a little of this on, it immediately relieves that tight, dry feeling.


I recently got my hair cut a lot shorter than I am used to. I really don't like my hair right now, but I do like this product which my hair stylist recommended. I was adamant about not wanting a "mom cut" --you know: the uniform, helmet-like, curled-under bowl look. She said that this would make my hair more dimensional and piecey, so I just use a tiny bit of this to separate my hair out in smaller sections. It's very light for my super-fine hair and doesn't weigh it down. Win!


This is what I look like after a professional at Sephora applied my makeup for our family pictures last Sunday. I have felt so down in so many ways lately, and this was a nice boost of confidence at least for the pictures. She filled in my brows (wish I could do this better myself!), applied HD-like makeup so it would reflect well for the pictures. She used eyeshadow to make a "cat eye", and really covered up my under-eye circles (which you can't tell in the first one because of the poor lighting when I took this picture at home). She used so many different kinds of brushes which makes all the difference, but I have zero time to use as many brushes as she did and, even if I HAD the time, I just don't have the kind of skills to recreate what she did. Man, I wish someone from Sephora could come over every day and at least do my brows...and undereye area...and face...and...you get the picture. I was most surprised that she was able to line my upper lid with eyeshadow alone--no eyeliner was used, and I loved it!


I'm trying to remember to take my supplements...I am using this cheap probiotic and saving up for the professional-grade one I really like from Multigenics. My girl, Dietician Cassie, sings the praises of pure l-glutamine for sugar cravings, so I take one of those in the afternoon when I crave sugar the most. I haven't been taking the vitamin d as much as I'm getting more of it from the sun in the summer. 


I've been pretty good about eating my eggs and vegetables, and really improving in water consumption. I hate the taste of tap water and spring water, so I usually buy my favorite Target water, Glacieau's SmartWater, or this Trader Joe's water. The reverse-osmosis type water tastes so crisp to me, which I love. Aaah! So many people in the world dying of thirst, and I can barely bring myself to drink the recommended 64 ounces a day. I feel ridiculous.


I am almost done with The Goldfinch; next on the reading docket is Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman, which Brett picked up for me a couple weeks ago.


Lastly, I present to you one of those simple joys of life kind of finds. I have been curious about these laundry boost products from Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day line for a long time, so I finally tried it out, and it really is a little slice of heaven. I use fragrance-free laundry detergent and zero fabric softener, so I thought this might lend a little bit of freshness to our laundry. You sprinkle a little bit of it on top of your clothes, towels, linens, etc. before you turn on the wash cycle, and it freshens up your laundry with the most refreshing, lemony kick. It's not overpowering and fake smelling--just light and sweet. I bought the lemon verbena one, but I saw basil and lavender, among others. I thought the lemon would be neutral enough that Brett wouldn't smell girly.

I have tried the essential oil method of freshening laundry (applying drops of lavender or whatever kind to a washcloth and throwing it into the dryer, but I could never smell it when the load was done drying. Anyone have any other tips?)


I leave you with some pictures of Stella's current art phase: flowers. I love her take on petals.



No comments:

Post a Comment