1. On the day of the terrorist attacks on Paris last November, I was thrown into a spiral of fear and loathing of this world. I felt despair. I was at my parents' house when I first heard of the attacks, and I told them that this had influenced my decision not to have a third child. Then the attacks in California happened. Getting closer and closer to home. People who have no value on life--no appreciation of beauty, the arts, life itself, are killing people with no regard for their own lives as they are killed in the process. The world feels so out of control. At the same time, I have been studying the book of Revelation for BSF, and although the study is hopeful, much of it has to do with the end times and the fact that Christians are going to be tested big time. Although I know that my future is secure (Jesus absorbed the wrath of God for my sin by dying on the cross and then rising and living again, and when I die, or if he comes back before that, he will raise me up to eternal life in heaven), it is so easy to get caught in the terror and fear of life on this earth. I still have to get up every morning and face a seemingly progressively unsafe and unstable world. My clinical anxiety is not helping, either. There are days I feel strong and trust in God to transform every fearful thought and worst-case scenario into something better, but most days I find myself in the mire of depression and survival-type living rather than living and resting in Christ. This situation I find myself in will be something God and I need to work out together. Holding steadfast to my faith is my goal, and sometimes I feel so scared that I won't be able to do that.
2. I've been getting migraines. I have the kind with aura so that means my vision goes wonky with the onset of the headache, and then bam! the headache arrives. Once the migraine is in full force, my fingers start to go numb and my tongue feels like it's 3 times the regular size and prickly and numb at the same time. Brett urged me to see my primary doctor to rule out anything scary, so I went to her, and she did a brief neurological test with me, and I seem fine in that area. She gave me an Imitrex prescription to take if the Excedrin doesn't do the trick first. There are so many possible triggers for migraines, so it may take me awhile to figure out mine.
3. I've been thinking of doing a Whole30/paleo/restrict carbs hybrid eating plan, but I can never commit to anything, which has been a source of self-loathing lately. I can't seem to get motivated to follow through on anything in my life right now. Everything is half-baked, half-done. That could be my old nemesis, depression, paying me a visit. I sometimes get in these epic ruts and, when I can't stand myself, I imagine or assume everyone thinks I am a loser. At the end of a BSF discussion, a negative inner voice tells me, "Well, you certainly didn't explain that thought very well. You could have elaborated so much better. They think you're stupid and inarticulate. So-and-so is so much more intelligent sounding when she speaks. You stumbled over your words again because you get so nervous that probably no one understood what you said." You guys, it's the worst! I sometimes wake up in the middle night and obsess over every conversation or event of the day. I know this isn't an uncommon problem, but living with clinical anxiety is absolutely horrible. PSA: be kind to all people. You don't know what they're struggling with or what burdens they carry.
4. I'm dying to get away and travel, yet the whole planning process and my anxiety throws a huge damper on my plans. I think about terrorism. Worst-case scenarios. I do have a couple trips coming up that I believe will serve my soul well. Sometimes I need to make a concerted effort for self-care and rest without distractions and obligations. Do you ever feel so depleted that you long for something to revitalize your soul and spirit? That's where I seem to be stuck right now. To have something to look forward to really helps me keep going.
5. I've been enjoying my girls so much right now. I think we're entering some sort of sweet zone of their ages being awesome and, in spite of it being winter, I rather enjoy the reason to retreat to our home and spend quality time together reading, coloring, etc. Stella is going to kindergarten next fall, so I've felt an extra measure of urgency to just soak up all the time we can get together.
| the girl wanted to wear a summer dress for no apparent reason the other afternoon |

I could have written point 3. On pretty much all fronts. You come across as much more articulate than you give yourself credit for.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being so honest in your blog posts. A narcissist wouldn't share so openly :)
Maybe we should plan a whole 14 together. We can hold one another accountable.
I'm so glad we had our discussion afterward and that our "Whole14" starts soon. :)
DeleteThis is lovely. And honest. And I feel like I have a little more insight into who you are. I miss your face and think how crazy it is that you are so close, and yet, all this was news to me. We need a momma's day out togther!
ReplyDeleteAny chance your migraines and your braces are related?
Thank you, Amanda! I miss you, too, and can't wait to hear about your trip to CA. I will text you after this weekend to meet up. Brett has Monday off, so we're excited about that!
DeleteSo I thought the migraines may be related to braces, but when I reviewed on the calendar when I had ortho appointments, I never had migraines in the vicinity of that day. I'm thinking it's stress or hormonal-related at this point. Le sigh.