Monday, April 11, 2016

my visit to philadelphia


At the beginning of March, I enjoyed a lovely visit to see my younger brother, Luke and my sister-in-law, Naomi. While it is usually starting to thaw out there at the time I went, it was actually unseasonably cold. At least I was used to it!

Right after I arrived that Thursday evening, they took me downtown to see the "backstage pass" view of the Philadelphia flower show that Naomi took part in setting up. This is an example of one of the many flower arrangements she helped arrange for a garden tea the following day. One of her tasks involved helped lift and set up these heavy pine trees. The room was so unbelievably beautiful. The theme of the show was America's national parks, and their particular room was meant to reflect the flora and fauna of Glacier National Park.


A cool arrangement that we saw in another exhibit...


That evening we ate some delicious Mexican food at Mad Mex, and the following morning, after thoroughly enjoying some donuts at Federal Donut (um, we're talking hot donuts with strawberry and lavender sugar), Naomi and I strolled around the streets of Chestnut Hill which had many fun home, gift, and fashion shops to offer.


We shared a delicious beet/arugula/grapefruit salad and a sandwich. The ambiance was so warm and inviting due to its greenhouse-like atmosphere. We rounded out our meal with a shared lemon bar, which was divine.


Machen Hall at Westminster Theological Seminary where Luke is finishing out this Spring!


Afternoon light streaming through their windows.


Downtown Philadelphia...I loved these doors!






I love a stately door, don't you?




Christ Church where George Washington, et al attended.


Taking a little break in Washington's pew.








Courtroom at Independence Hall


And the magnificent constitution-signing room at Independence Hall. I definitely got goosebumps seeing this room and feeling the magnitude of what the founding fathers did (pretty much a miracle considering they wrote this thing up in one summer and agreed on it and signed it!) in this very room.







Washington Square


A late lunch at Dandelion Cafe



Awesome view of the capitol


Sunday morning we grabbed some more lovely donuts from Federal before attending a service at Tenth Presbyterian. The music was so beautiful and moving. I started to tear up while we sang, feeling the poignant blues anticipating soon thereafter having to say goodbye yet again. Why does this life insist on being so wonderful yet sad all the time?

Before I knew it, I was at the Philadelphia airport headed for home. I wish I could go back to visit with Brett and the girls next time. There was so much I couldn't see because I was there for three days. I love visiting American cities that have a lot of historical sites. I dream of taking the girls to places like Boston and Washington, D. C. someday.

Thank you for showing me the sights, Luke and Naomi!

No comments:

Post a Comment