Tuesday, July 17, 2012

parting is such sweet sorrow

I'm trying to write through my sadness today, but the words aren't coming very well. We said goodbye to Luke and Naomi last night, and I am feeling very emotional, useless, and weepy today. There is something about saying goodbye to people you love that feels like a little shadow of what death must feel like. When parting, there's an emptiness and poignant grief mixed in with the head knowledge that acknowledges the facts that yes, I am happy for them, and yes, this is an exciting new chapter for them to grow in career, marriage, personal development, etc., but it does little to lessen the heartache. You have to have a good cry (or many a good cry in my case), pray, and think about the good memories.

This quote by George Eliot helps me express what I'm feeling at the moment: "Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love." Sometimes when saying goodbye, you don't even realize the magnitude of your love until you're saying it, and the emotions just drown you. If you love, you hurt. The more you love, the more capacity you have for experiencing pain


I wish I could sit here and process everything out for the day, but life marches on whether or not I'm ready to re-join its ranks




"Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven." -Tryon Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment