Friday, May 10, 2013

one of those weeks

What is everyone doing this weekend? Anything fun? Knocking things off your to-do list? A little of both? As you probably know, The Great Gatsby movie comes out this weekend. Here is Part of EW's review:

"There's a reason 'The Great Gatsby' continues to be taught in classrooms nearly 90 years after it was written. ... Too bad Luhrmann, the caffeinated conductor, doesn't trust that story enough. He'd rather blast your retinas into sugar-shock submission."


Yikes. There are a lot of bad reviews of Luhrmann's take on 'ol Gatz, but I still want to see it. I fell in love with the novel when I took a Hemingway and Fitzgerald literature class my sophomore year at Wayzata High School. (Shout out to Ms. Jewel - as if she really reads this blog)! While there are many depressing moments, you can't but appreciate Fitzgerald's way of observing the human condition. I have re-read Gatsby a few times since high school - while I don't recall every single detail, I know the story pretty well, and I'm curious to see what this director does with it. I love how I'm talking about seeing this movie as though that is a super easy thing to do. Together with having a toddler, being nauseated, and now sick with a cold, I may not see it until it comes out on dvd. Ha. We'll see.


Besides reaching the second trimester milestone (woo hoo!), this week has been pretty challenging. Monday I felt surprisingly well, and I even made dinner! Tuesday was BSF making the morning pass quickly, and Stella took a good nap. Things went sour by the middle of the week. 

Wednesday Stella had four nosebleeds, two of which occurred outside the home, at the shopping mall. She had the first one in the morning at home, which was bad, but at least I was at home. The worst one was in a fitting room. Stella didn't have any warm weather clothes yet, so Mom went shopping with us at Ridgedale. As I put some new shorts on Stella, I looked down and noticed a blood splat on the floor, then one on her not-yet-purchased shorts, and then she started freaking out because it was coming out steadily at that point. Mom kept handing me Kleenex, and I applied pressure and tried to pinch her nose either at the bridge or, since she has such a tiny nose, anywhere I could pinch it to stop the bleeding. She was crying so hard. It was awful. Finally it stopped. We bought the shorts because of the blood, and luckily it was the size that fit. We did a little more shopping for her, and she really cheered up when she saw the pretty fountain by the elevators. As we were walking out through Macy's, her nose started bleeding again, so we hurried our pace to get outside the building. Once outside, I sat on the concrete ledge thing, and Mom repeated the handing-me-Kleenex song and dance. This time she got a lot more blood on her shirt and my clothes. She was getting exhausted from crying, and just wanted me to hold her long after the bleeding had subsided. After we dropped Mom off at her house a few miles away, I headed home with Stella. No sooner had we pulled out of my parents' road did Stella nod off asleep. She slept for an hour in her crib, then had another nosebleed. After I cleaned that up, I put her back to bed, and she slept another hour. No nosebleeds since Wednesday. Knock on wood.

Stella was coming down with a cold Tuesday night, and it got worse by Thursday. I caught a cold, too, and my worse day so far has been today. I had a sore throat all day yesterday and woke up in the middle of the night with my throat hurting so badly. While pregnant, the only painkiller you can take is Tylenol, and I don't think it's very effective for pain at all. While lying awake for at least two hours, my mind decided to recall nearly every bad memory and experience I've had in my life so far. It was awful. This has happened a couple other nights during this pregnancy. Somehow I dropped off to sleep again, and Stella decided to wake up earlier than usual. My cold is worse today, and the lack of sleep is exacerbating my pregnancy symptoms. I'm bummed to be sick just in time for the weekend. 

Also, Brett has a lot going on at work and, because of the nature of his career, he doesn't have a set time he leaves every day. This is hard for figuring out dinner/dinner timing, especially when I feel nauseated late afternoon anyway. There have been a lot of tears on my part this week and last week, but I have a feeling things are going to get better once Stella and I are over this virus. I can't wait to gain some traction and to get out of this rut of not feeling well. 

Well, that was a downer of a post. It's life, though! We all have these days or weeks that are so challenging. If I didn't have God to lean on, I think Brett would have come home to his wife assuming the fetal position on the floor and crying her head off. We do have some fun things this summer to look forward to, and things are moving along with the house, but closing is not until the end of June, and a lot could happen in the meantime. Can you tell I'm keeping my expectations pretty low so that if it doesn't work out, I won't be devastated?

Thus concludes my sad Eeyore post. :)


2 comments:

  1. Renee Ashlynn ThompsonMonday, May 13, 2013

    Yep we all have days/weeks like this indeed! Makes the great ones even better. Hope you are feeling better soon. My niece kept getting bloody noses and she had it cauterized (sp?). She has had no more bloody noses! -- Might be a good option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! So sorry to hear that you had such a rough week. :( I'm praying that you and Stella feel better soon! Love you! Bethany

    ReplyDelete