Friday, April 28, 2017

making our house a home

In the past year or so, I've really taken an interest in interior decorating. I find decorating my own home pretty intimidating, and I really enjoy reading design blogs and perusing beautiful home decor stores, as well as being invited to other people's homes and just taking in their style and appreciating the fact that there are so many different styles. It's so fun to see people's personalities shining in the way they decorate their homes. I don't find myself a naturally creative person, but I think I am more creative than I give myself credit. Once you give yourself permission to have fun doing it, the whole process becomes immensely more enjoyable. A few months ago I was starting to feel stuck about certain decorating decisions, and I came across a blog post by Laura Wifler that really cheered me up: Why Decorating Your Home Seems So Incredibly Hard. Spoiler alert: It seems so hard because it IS hard. :)

It is amazing to look back and see how much my taste has changed...or Brett's and my preferences have changed. I used to like bolder colors, and now I prefer a serene and breezy palette. We like a lot of the mid-century modern aesthetic, but I don't think either one of us likes every single aspect of that style. Sometimes I get tired of it and want to incorporate elements of other styles, but there's a fine line between a cohesive style and disjointed eclectic quirkiness. The eclectic look is hard to pull off, at least that's what I think. I like some of the modern farmhouse look; I appreciate aspects of the craftsman style; French country can be so luxurious and gorgeous; there are elements of colonial and traditional that I admire, too.

I've come to learn that I don't need to figure out EVERYTHING at once for every single room of the house. I really want to tie everything in together beautifully (WHICH IS HARD), and I've found that not focusing on one room at a time, but rather the general look of the house as a whole, gives you a better vision for the entire vibe/aesthetic of the home. Ok, maybe that didn't make sense. Lol! That being said, we have been focusing on decorating the sunroom because it was a blank canvas and so fun to start from scratch! I am still experimenting with what to do in there. It's not finished, but we are making good headway! I may need to table that project for a month or so because Miss Grace needs a new bed and mattress, which won't be cheap necessarily.





No comments:

Post a Comment