Friday, October 21, 2011

susie

Today my "little" sister, Susannah Grace, turns 23. I always insisted on calling Susie by her official name, Susannah, and called her that for as long as I could before giving in and calling her Susie, which she preferred. I loved having two brothers, but when my parents told us that my mom was pregnant, I hoped and hoped the baby would be a girl. And she was! As she grew up, I always felt protective of her. I don't think she necessarily appreciated that from me, but oh well. For a few years we shared a bedroom because we lived in a smaller house for awhile and, while it was difficult sometimes for me because of our 6 1/2 year age difference, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy talking with my sister and laughing and goofing off about things before we fell asleep. Sometimes she would force herself to stay awake until I went to bed later since I was older. Sometimes we would sing songs together, our absolute favorite being It is Well with My Soul. To this day, if the worship leader selects that song at church, I always look over at Susie and give her the "that's our song" look.

Susie has always made me laugh so hard. When she was little, she would do super hilarious things that would just crack me up...Susie, you know what those are! She has always possessed a lot of drive and energy and conviction. As all we Lorences are to varying degrees, she is opinionated and speaks her mind. She is very sweet, thoughtful, and empathetic. And she loves babies. She has always been a champion babysitter and in high-demand and still occasionally babysits. I love watching her interact with Stella. She is such a natural. Sometimes she rolls her r's and makes this funny trilling sound and Stella either cracks up or stares at Susie in awestruck wonder.

Susie, I am very thankful to have you as both a sister and a friend. I hope this birthday is a fun and happy one for you. Thank you for being such a wonderful aunt to our little girl. I look forward to seeing you as a mother yourself someday.

Susie's high school graduation party

Meeting Stella

Cuddling at Bethany's bridal shower

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Susie! I have only had sisters in spirit, but I still know well the beauty and blessing that a sister is. I loved reading how both those characteristics have been borne out between you and your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw I didn't see this until today, but thank you, Sarah! That's really sweet. I love you an will always cherish those memories of staying up late with you, talking, singing, and laughing with you. I am excited to make many more memories with you... and your growing family!

    Thank you for not posting the things I did when I was younger that made you laugh. Haha I think we both know what I'm taking about... Moo!

    ReplyDelete