Monday, April 23, 2012

Whole30

Brett and I have decided to start Whole30 this Saturday (we might start it Thursday, depending on how much more research we want to do and if we can get some specific grocery shopping accomplished). We are ready to take the dive! We need a fresh start to eating right. While we do eat vegetables and fruits, we need to eat a lot more; we eat too much sugar and carbs and it's time to reset our diets in a very deliberate way...not that this is a diet, but I mean diet in the sense of what one eats. To keep me focused and accountable to stay on the program, I am going to blog my experience every five days or so, or maybe more often than that.



This is what will change in our eating: no dairy; no sugar of any kind (only what occurs naturally in fresh fruit...and that will be a little scaled back, too...as the Whole30 people call fruit: nature's Pepsi); no grains; no legumes, although green beans are the exception on the plan. In preparation for this, I have scaled way back on half-and-half since we will be drinking coffee black on Whole30. That is the only change I have made to ease myself into Whole30.

During the 30 days, Brett and I will have to do most of the prep work for the next day's meals the night before. Once Stella has been put to bed, we can grill chicken, other meat, and vegetables and then freeze them or store them in the refrigerator for the following day. We want to set ourselves up to succeed, so I believe prepping the food is key. Also, I don't want us to get in a food rut, so we are going to research appetizing Whole30-approved recipes. It's all too easy to just grill chicken and eat some salad every day, but I fear that would get boring really fast. We also want to eat the red meat only occasionally since it is expensive and high in fat, so we will have to find some delicious chicken (less expensive) entrees and fish options (expensive, too, but we love it). We will be eating a lot of eggs for breakfast, so in order to avoid eating too much cholesterol, we will be eating mostly egg whites and eating the whole egg only a couple times per week.

This whole plan could get pretty costly, but there are ways of getting around that AND we won't be spending money on yogurt, other dairy, bread, grains, or snacks (according to Whole30, you eat such satisfying food and drink lots of water, that you only need 3 square meals daily).

Okay, well obviously more of this to come in the near future! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment